Monday, March 10, 2008

March 3, 3009-March 9, 2009

Monday, March 3, 2008
10:25 am
Another dead day at the MDA station in Jerusalem. Yesterday I had, I think, 4 calls. My first day was a real teaser, because I thought my days would be more like the first one. So far I've had 3 calls this morning-- no, wait, 4-- car accident, car accident, cancelled, car accident cancelled on the way. All were canceled- ALL. Okay, call-- let's see how this one goes…

Tuesday, March 4, 2008
2:35 pm
Yeah, so I had an "eh" day yesterday, at least during shift. It was just up-and-down for the first few hours.
At my second avtacha (medical standby in case it's needed). Of the day. Ever. Today was more exciting, but I'll finish yesterday first. So the 3 canceled car accidents, a few more calls, but nothing interesting. Our last call was an emergency call to..wait for it...an 84 y/o who had stomach pans for a MONTH already, and it was an emergency. WTF?
Today was more interesting; we had lots of trauma! First call was a kid whose finger got slammed in a door and part of the pulp got amputated on one finger and the other one got slammed only and was bleeding.
Second call- a construction worker fell. Facial wound, backboarding involved. And then there were 2 more falls-- wow. 3 at once-- well, one after the other; you heard over the radio. 2 (including the one I was on) went to one hospital, the other went to another hospital. I did not see Shaarei Tzedek today-- usually I see that more often.
Third call was an old lady with thrombosis who didn't want to go to the hospital at first, but she ended up agreeing to go.
Fourth call was a teen who had a rock-- a rock!-- thrown at her and it hit her in the head, but she didn't lose consciousness or anything like that.
After that we pit-stopped at the MDA station to wash the ambulance before going to do avtacha at a race. When we were there, Coby called Benny and asked who was working today-- and then Benny gave me the phone and Coby asked if I could do avtacha at Binyanei Hauma for a bar mitzva. (Why there's a bar mitzva at 3 pm on a Tuesday afternoon, don't ask me)
6:05 pm
Back inside. I went to the ambulance for a bit-- took a nap- mmmm....Anyway, I'm doing avtacha for a bar mitzvah-- the grandson of the Belz Rav. There are so many people here-- and that's only the women! The men are at the Belz shul or something like that. There are, at least, 600 people in one hall alone, and there's at least 2 other halls, all just as large, of the women. (later addition: There were 2500 women there. And 4500 men wherever the men were) Wow.
In other news, I told Mom I want to do the madrichim course and she wants to talk about it not at 11:30 at night. [cut because no one wants to hear about school stuff] Well, she hasn't said no outright, which is good. It's not really up to her, but her not saying "I really don't want you to do this" is definitely appreciated.
Feels like 1 am, or so. I worked 14 hours-- no, 15-- 7 am-10 pm. Damn. And I'll be back here at 6:45 tomorrow. On the upside, I did get an approximately 1.5 hour nap in while hanging out on the ambulance. I'm waiting in the MDA station for Rita to come pick me up. I just came into the kitchen, went to rinse my cup mug to make a cup of Nescafe, and saw ants. The hot drinks machine is infested with them-- or at least it used to be; the sign is down now.
I'm debating coming in on the later bus tomorrow-- I think I'll see what time I get home and get to sleep.
I had something else to say...and I don't remember what...oh well.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008
3:28 pm
Today was an okay day. First call was at, like, 7:05-- as in, "Who wants to go with Shalom?" Car accident, and the shibutz (schedule) hadn't been done yet. So I just jumped on. Guy got hit-- there was a konan (first responder-- in MDA there are first responders/hatzala who are on scooters and have basic first aid stuff) there, so we just backboarded and took him to the hospital.
After that, a lady who—TBC

Thursday, March 6, 2008
(continued) After that, a lady who didn't feel well, and-- not too much more excitingness.
After shift I went to town with Benny, Adam, and Ryan, and then met up with Shloime there for a bit. Then I went out with Ami, and then came home-- I actually got home earlier than previous nights.
Today I went to the Knesset-- mildly interesting overall. At first they didn't have the fax that we were going to be in the Knesset today, then we got called to a car accident-- 8 cars! No one went to the hosital, though; one person had some pressure at the back of his neck, but that was it. Originally he said yes to going to the hospital, but then changed his mind-- whatever. In the afternoon we had a suspected CVA, but when we got there it was a decline in status from yesterday so the family was concerned.
Then we came back, did a sherut run, then I went to donate blood. I'm not doing a shift tonight, by the way. Meh. Shloime's driver has someone else.
I don't know if I'm going to stay and hang out. I want to, but I have at least 2 hours, don't have what to change into, and...whatever.I think I'm going to just go home. I have to be here at 9:30 tomorrow, but I can take a bus at 7:30 and not a ride at 5:40. Yay!

Friday, March 7, 2008
2:49 pm
I stayed yesterday. I went to Benny's place (aka Tal's) and showered and changed; I left my small bag at the MDA station, because I was going to crash there anyway. Then we went to town, met Eden, and went to New Deli and met up with Josh, a kid from MDA Chul 62 or 64. We had dinner, then Josh went to find some more of his friends, and Eden, Benny, and I went to a bar. We were about to order and Josh called Benny to tell us to get the hell out of town, there was a pigua. So Eden called the girls from her program that she was with, we met them, and went to one of the girl's friend's apt. We stayed there—TBC

Motzei Shabbat, March 8, 2008
8:35 pm
(continuing) We stayed in this guy's apt. for about an hour and then Eden and her friends got in a cab back to their kibbutz and Benny and I went back to the MDA station. It was a balagan there-- there were tons of people and the ambulances were coming back in. The news was on in the kitchen, people were just sitting outside talking, smoking. Helped Shloime refill his ambulance. Then Benny and I waited at the station for Ryan and Hannah to come and we went to meet Shloime and his ambulance at Kikar Tzion. Nixed that, and the 4 of us went to Burgers Bar, then Benny went home, and Ryan, Hannah, and I went to the bus. We were waiting, and all of a sudden there was a crash-- this guy fell and was bleeding. Ryan took out gloves, I went to the ambulance across the street, then Hannah called-- the guy decided he didn't want help and stumbled off. No prob...Then Shloime called and said that if I wanted, there was room on his ambulance. So I said sure and Shloime said they'd come pick me up in a bit. Ryan's and Hannah's bus came, so I went to go hang out with the guys at the other ambulance and was chilling with them until Shloime and his driver picked me up. Had a couple of calls-- first was canceled, the second I don't remember,
11:48 pm
Then we had a 4-month-old who had difficulty breathing. Then we went back to the station and had another call-- chest pain. We got to the apt. and both the husband and wife seemed like they could have used treatment. I learned how to do a quick triage-- How are you feeling? Does your chest hurt? Does your head hurt? Any other pain? Check pulse. Then tx. It was an interesting call-- read:...interesting...

Sunday, March 9, 2008
7:32 am
Waiting at the MDA station for my driver to come back. Some days you get here and shibutz doesn't happen until 7-7:15; today I got here at 7:10 and it wasn't done, but driers had already left.
Anyway, back to Friday. Got back to the station at 8:30, therefore didn't go to sleep. Found Coby and hung around until-- I don't know-- 9:45-ish (?) then we went to the momorial ceremony for Yochai Porat-- Coby drove Shloime's car with me, Shloime, and another MDA Chul person and instructor, Seri. I fell asleep for part of it, but the part I was awake for was fun. We were a bit late to the ceremony, but were there for about a 1/2 hour-20 minutes. Met Yochai's parents and sister.
After that Coby dropped me off at Bar Ilan and I went to Eli's. Shabbat was nice. I stayed at Aylana's and Chava's apt.-- and actually got to see them! Which was exciting! I fell asleep at dinner, which wasn't so exciting, but I was tired. I also slept about 12 hours Fri. night. Lunch was at Aylana' and Chava's apt., then I took a nap, then went to mincha, and had seudah shlishit at Eli's apt., followed by havdalah. After that I went back, changed, and went back to Eli's to watch Firefly. It was...interesting. Reminds me a little of Enterprise. After that I went back to the apt., chilled a bit, then went to sleep.
This morning I came in on the first bus...and that's where I'm at now. Now, reflections or thoughts or comments or...something on the pigua. It feels like it was so far away-- it was 3 nights ago, but even Friday afternoon. Maybe it's because I worked a shift after, bit-- it's not like anything STOPPED. After 9/11, things STOPPED. Here- buses were running a few hours after. Roads were closed and traffic was hell getting out of Jerusalem, but things didn't stop. People weren't out as much, for sure, but things continued. It was scary-- yes, feeling vulnerable like that, but it was also frustrating when I was in the apt. and just sitting there. Once I got back to the station and was checking an ambulance and doing something, I wasn't as frustrated. Yes, the pigua was over, but there was still what to do.
2:00 pm
Dead day. Good, but boring. 1st call was a gas leak-- cancelled-- the FD couldn't find anything wrong. 2nd call was cancelled within a few seconds. 3rd call was a transfer from a natan (intensive care ambulances)-- not even an interesting one- A-fib. And the pt. was fine in the natan; low BP and irregular pulse. That's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment